Information, advice and support for carers

Information, advice and support for carers

If you are looking after someone in Derbyshire there are a range of local services that offer information, advice and support.

If you've just become a carer it might be the information you need the most is about how to access support for the person you care for. If you are able to get more help for them, the burden on you as a carer can be lessened.

However, regardless of how much extra help the person gets from a care service, it's still very important for you to get the information, advice and support you need to help manage your caring role.

The Carers Trust have worked with carers to develop 'Time to Think About You' which is a series of questions you can ask yourself to help you think about how you're feeling and whether you want to access some support. You can find the questions on their website

Listed below are some of the main information resources and services for carers who look after someone living in Derbyshire. You'll find other services to support your wellbeing in the looking after yourself section.

Our website

Our website has been designed to help carers living in Derbyshire to find reliable, up-to-date information and details of support services for carers.

Carers Directory

The searchable Carers Directory includes details of carer support groups throughout the county, information services, services to help you get a break, dementia support, social activities and much more. 

Key information for carers

You'll also find information about key services for carers, including:

The Guide to Carers Services booklet gives a good overview of the services available to carers in Derbyshire. You can order a printed copy online.

Derbyshire Carers Association

Derbyshire Carers Association (DCA) are the lead provider for carers services in Derbyshire. They are commissioned by Derbyshire County Council and health services to provide support services for carers.

They carry out carers assessments and award Carer Personal Budgets on behalf of the Council. They also run support groups and activities throughout the county. You can find out more about them and the services they provide on the Derbyshire Carers Association page.

If you are caring for someone who lives in Derby City you can get support from the Universal Services for Carers service provided by Citizen's Advice Mid Mercia.

Support from Derbyshire County Council 

All local authorities providing social care have a responsibility to support carers who look after an adult. You can find out more on the Care Act for carers and carers eligibility pages. If you're a young carer (under 18), see the young carers page. If you're a parent carer, please see the caring for a child page

Derbyshire County Council and the Derbyshire Clinical Commissioning Groups fund Derbyshire Carers Association to provide the Carer Support Service on their behalf. This includes carrying out carers assessments

If they aren't already doing so, Adult Care may be able to provide support to the person you care for if they have care and support needs (subject to eligibility). This could include respite care for the person you look after so you can get a break from your caring role.

Health services

Local health services such as Derbyshire Community Health Services, Derbyshire Healthcare Foundation Trust and Chesterfield Royal Hospital are keen to recognise and support carers who use, or support someone to use, their services.

Derbyshire Community Health Services provide services including minor injury units, health centres and a variety of out patient clinics. Their Patient Experience Team encourage carers to give feedback on their services as part of their Caring Always promises. If you have any queries or feedback about DCHS services and want to speak to someone, please contact the Patient Experience Team.

Derbyshire Healthcare Foundation Trust provide mental health, young people and learning disability services. The Trust work to Core Care Standards, the Triangle of Care for Mental Health: Carers Included and work to involve and communicate with carers as much as possible.

The Trust also have lots of general information for carers on their website, including their Carer and Family Handbook.

Chesterfield Royal Hospital have a dedicated Carer Liaison Worker who can provide information, advice and support to carers.

Other local organisations who support carers

There are many other local organisations, services and charities who can offer support to carers. The Carers Directory has details of local services who can offer advice, information and support services. 

If you need a help that is specific to the condition or illness of the person you care for, the 'caring for someone with' pages have details of organisations who may be able to help you. 

There are also links to other local organisations in the 'other helpful websites' section below. 

Peer support and online communities

Quite often carers just need someone to talk to who understand what they are going through. The Carers Directory has details of support groups and social activities for carers. In many cases the groups are set up and run by other carers.

If you struggle to get out to support groups, there are lots of  online communities for carers which you can use at any time of the day or night. Some communities are national, or even international, while others are based locally. Many communities have question and answers sessions and guest blog posts which you can look to get advice and answers to queries.

Other sources of practical help, information and advice

Caring can present all kinds of challenges, from filling in forms to coping with emotions.

Carers UK have an advice line where they offer information and support with claiming benefits, accessing services, employments rights for carers and much more. The line is open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm on tel: 0808 808 7777. Calls to the advice line are free from UK landlines and most major mobile networks.

Carers UK also have an online tool called Upfront where you answer a few simple questions about your situation to get the information and advice you need.

NHS Carers Direct is an advice line and web chat service for carers. The line is open Monday to Friday, 9am-8pm and weekends from 11am-4pm on tel: 0300 123 1053

Citizens Advice can offer help with practical, financial and legal matters. The Derbyshire branches of Citizens Advice centres are listed in the Carers Directory

Rothera Sharp Solicitors and Derbyshire Carers Association have teamed up with  to offer free legal advice clinics for carers.

Helpful websites and documents

Many local and national organisations that have developed excellent information and advice guides for carers:

This information was last updated on 27/06/2022

Search the Carers Directory

Look for services and groups in Derbyshire to help support you in your caring role


Signup for updates


Get our carers newsletter and blog posts delivered to your inbox