Local schemes and services

As well as services aimed specifically at carers, there are a variety of other general services available in Derbyshire that you can access to help make your life easier.

Time Swap Scheme

Please note the Time Swap scheme is currently suspended due to the pandemic and alternate delivery methods are currently being considered.

Anyone can join the Time Swap Scheme. You can build up ‘time credits’ by sharing a skill or helping someone else with something. You can then trade in the time you have spent to get some help yourself.

So perhaps you can help someone to fill in a form, give someone a lift, write or translate a letter. In return you could get someone to help with your garden, decorating, get your shopping and even sit with the person you care for. The possibilities are endless - see what members have been swapping by reading some Time Swap stories

For more information contact the service on Tel: 01629 532409 or read our blog to find out how carers can use the scheme. You can also see what's happening in your area, including drop in sessions on the Derbyshire County Council website:

Home Library services

The home library service is offered to people who are unable to visit a library themselves, due to a health problem or because of their caring responsibilities. Library staff or volunteers can visit your home and deliver books, audio books or CDs. They can also provide advice about other online resources. For further information Tel: 01629 533 444 or email: asklibrary@derbyshire.gov.uk

If you are able to get to the library on behalf of the person you care for, you are entitled to take home 24 books for them at a time and you won't be charged any late fees. Speak to your local library for further information.

Fire Safety

Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service have a self assessment tool on their website that lets you check how fire safe your house is. There is also advice about making a escape plan to get you and the person you care for out in the event of a fire. 

First Contact Derbyshire

The Derbyshire County Council First Contact scheme can put you in touch with local services who can help with things like housing options, welfare benefits, falls prevention, community alarms (pendant alarms) and warm homes advice in your area. It also puts you in touch with services to help with health and wellbeing. All you need to do is fill in one simple form and the relevant organisations will contact you to offer support and information.

Need a Bit of Help at Home?

Derbyshire County Council Adult Care have developed a new leaflet called Need a Bit of Help at Home aimed at people who are just starting to need a bit of support at home. You can order a paper copy this and other Adult Care publications using the Adult Care leaflet order form.

Derbyshire Home from Hospital Service

If the person you care for doesn't need, or isn't eligible for, formal support from Adult Care, but you feel they do need help with things like shopping, keeping their home clean and collecting prescriptions after leaving hospital, you can get support from the Derbyshire Home from Hospital Service. Tel 01283 817417 to find out more.

Local groups and services in your area

If you want to find out about groups, activities and clubs, then the Community Voluntary Service (CVS) and Volunteer Bureau may be able to tell you about services in your local area. Each district in Derbyshire has a service and can be contacted directly.

Amber Valley CVS Tel: 01773 512 076
Derbyshire Dales CVS Tel: 01629 812 154
Bolsover Together – contact through Facebook 
The Volunteer Centre – Chesterfield & North East Derbyshire Tel: 01246 276 777
High Peak CVS Tel: 01663 735 350
Erewash CVS Tel: 01159 466 740
South Derbyshire CVS Tel: 01283 550 163
Glossop and District Volunteer Bureau Tel: 01457 865 722
Buxton Volunteer Centre Tel: 01298 23970
Peaks & Dales CVS (Ashbourne) Tel: 01335 348602.

You can also search the Community Directory which all CVS' contribute to. 

Debt and money advice

The Welfare Rights Service offer free welfare benefits check to ensure you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to. They can also offer support with appeals against claim decisions and help you get in touch with debt and financial advice. You can contact the helpline on tel: 01629 531535 Mon, Tues, Thur, Fri between 11am and 4.30pm. Or you can email: welfarebenefits@derbyshire.gov.uk

The Derbyshire Discretionary Fund may be able to help you during an emergency or crisis situation and to support you to cope with exceptional pressure when you have no other source of funding.

Managing debt - If you are worrying about managing your money or feel things are getting out of control, then the sooner you begin to tackle the problem the better. The Derbyshire County Website has a list of providers of free debt advice in your local area.

Local Area Coordination

Local Area Coordination (LAC) is a way of supporting people with disabilities, mental ill health, older people and their families and carers. LAC workers can help people access and use services, get info and other support they need in their area. It aims to help people to live fulfilling lives, stay safe and be well connected with their local communities. LAC is jointly funded by the NHS and Derbyshire County Council and is now working across the whole of Derbyshire.

Derbyshire Citizens Advice

The Citizens Advice service offers free, confidential advice on any issue, including housing, employment, benefits and debt, care issues, families and relationships, energy efficiency. They have advice centres and outreach clinics around the county. Find your nearest by searching the Carers Directory for advice lines and/or drop-in services in your area.

The local Citizens Advice helpline telephone numbers are also listed on the online community and advice lines page.

Trusted Trader

Derbyshire Trusted Trader can help you find honest and reliable traders who commit to doing a good job for a fair price. Traders are monitored by Derbyshire County Council Trading Standards Department.

You’ll find plumbers, builders, roofers, decorators, joiners, electricians, gardeners, retailers and many more service providers on the register.


Derbyshire Connect Services offer a service that enables people who would normally struggle to use public transport to get out and do their shopping and access essential services. Vehicles are wheelchair accessible and pick people up from their homes. Drivers are fully trained and can offer a helping hand when needed. 

There are two parts to the service: Derbyshire Connect takes people to do their shopping, banking and other similar things. The aCTive Travel part of the service helps people get to medical and hospital appointments. You can find the contact details of the providers covering your area on the Derbyshire County Council website

Gold card - anyone over 60 (depending on your date of birth) can have a Gold Card − the travel, discount and library card for Derbyshire residents. You can now apply for a card online. If you've already got a card, make sure you renew it.

b_line card - If you are a carer under 18 you may be interested in the b_line card which offers concessionary travel and discount for young people.

If the person you care for has mobility problems they may be entitled to a Blue Badge or to lease a car on scooter using the Motability Scheme.

Carers Trust has a helpful guide on getting out and about and the schemes carers can access. 

This information was last updated on 15/03/2022

Search the Carers Directory

Look for services and groups in Derbyshire to help support you in your caring role


Signup for updates


Get our carers newsletter and blog posts delivered to your inbox