Carers guide to getting out and about this spring and summer

27 April 2018
Carers guide to getting out and about this spring and summer

Now the spring/summer weather is on its way (fingers crossed) you might be thinking of days out for you and the person you care for across Derbyshire.

We understand that for carers a day out can take a lot of planning so we are here to help you with information about:

  • Carers go free activities, tourist sites and cinemas
  • Carers go free at football matches across Derbyshire
  • Groups and events for carers
  • Changing places toilets
  • Safe Place Scheme
  • Accessibility information
  • Transport and travel

Carers go Free

Did you know that some tourist sites in and around Derbyshire that advertise a “carer’s go free deal”?

Alton Towers

Guests who have the following documentation are entitled to one free carer ticket and a second carer at half price. However, the guest with the disability and any other members of their party will pay full price.

Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance award letter (dated within the last 12 months)

Personal Independence Payment letter (dated within the last 12 months)

A current and valid Blue Badge

  1. Letter from GP or consultant (dated within the last 12 months) confirming the need for a full time carer. This does not need to be a letter of diagnosis.

You can find out more by reading their resort access guide.


Treak Cliff Cavern

Discounted price for special needs adults and carers - see their admission prices.

Crich Tramway Museum

The museum offers free admission for carers and a discounted rate for less able visitors - see their accessibility information.

National Trust

The Essential Companion card makes it simple to bring one or two carers or companions with you, free of charge. Just show the card when you arrive, and your carer(s) or companion(s) won’t need to pay an entry fee.

It’s in your name so you can bring whomever you like, but even if you don’t have an Essential Companion card, you can still bring carers or companions free – the card just makes it quicker and simpler for you. Find out more here.

This is a list of all the National Trust places to visit in the Midlands.

Free entry advice 

If the person you care for has to have you with them to be able to use a service (e.g. go to a visior attraction), then you they are covered by the Equality Act. This means that attractions should not charge you as the person's carer as they wouldn't be able to access it without your support. Don't be afraid to ask or challenge the staff if they refuse this, it may be that they just aren't aware. More info and advice about this is on the Carers Trust website.

There are a lot more places to visit across Derbyshire for you to visit but in all cases it is best to contact them directly before you go to see if they are aware of the rules regards the Equality Act and free entry for carers - this will save any confusion when you arrive.

Access Card

If the person you look after is disabled or has an inpairment, they can get an Access Card. The card has symbols on it that relate to the person's needs and is accepted as proof of disability at venues across the country. The card can be used to quickly and discreetly let a service or company know about their needs and can help you access concessionary tickets prices and accessibility / adjustment support. It can also be used to help you get free entry as a carer by prooving the person you care for has a disability.

Cinemas - CEA Card

Because this is the UK and spring / summer doesn't always (or even often) mean good weather, it's sometimes necessary to find things to do indoors!  A CEA card enables a disabled cinema guest to receive a complimentary ticket for someone to go with them for free entry when they visit a participating cinema.

Local cinema who are part of the scheme:

  • Cineworld Chesterfield Derby Road, Alma Road, Chesterfield S40 2ED - tel: 0871 200 2000
  • Odeon Derby Meteor Centre, Mansfield Road, Derby, Derbyshire. DE21 4SY - tel: 0871 22 44 007
  • Derby Quad Market Place, Cathedral Quarter, Derby. DE1 3AS - tel:  01332 290 606
  • Showcase Derby De Lux Level 3, West Mall, Westfield Centre, Derby. DE1 2PQ - tel: 0871 220 1000
  • Reel Ilkeston Market Place, Ilkeston. DE7 5QB - tel: 01509 22 11 55
  • Showcase Derby Forester Park, Osmaston Park Road, Derby DE23 8AG - tel: 0871 220 1000
  • Odeon Mansfield Park Lane, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire. NG18 1BU - tel: 0871 22 44 007
  • Cinebowl Cinema Town Meadows Way, Uttoxeter. ST14 8AZ - tel: 01889 566644
  • Savoy Cinema Nottingham 233 Derby Road, Nottingham. NG7 1QN - tel: 01159 472580
  • Showcase Nottingham Lenton Lane Industrial Estate, Redfield Way, Nottingham. NG7 2UW - tel: 0871 220 1000

The card costs £6 and currently anyone who receives one of the following benefits is eligible to purchase a CEA card:

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Attendance Allowance (AA)
  • Blind Persons Registration
  • Personal Independence Payments (PIP)
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

Carers go free tickets for football games

Calling all football fans, did you know that a lot of the football clubs in Derbyshire offer free entry to games for carers?

  • Derby County Football Club - Offer a free of charge ticket for a carer to attend a game with a disabled supporter. To apply for a personal assistant / essential companion ticket there is a form to complete that will be sent to Derby County Football Club's Disabled Liaison Officer to check eligibility.
  • Chesterfield Football Club - Offer a free of charge ticket for carers who provide evidence from the Department of Works and Pensions showing the Disability Living Allowance is in the middle or higher band of care. Disabled tickets can only be purchased in person from the ticket office providing the above evidence of eligibility.
  • Sheffield United Football Club - Offer a free of charge ticket for carers. You are eligible for a free ticket if the person you care for receives Personal Independence Payment or Disability Living Allowance at the middle or higher rate care component will automatically qualify.

Groups for carers

Getting out and meeting other carers, making new friends or even just having a cup of tea with someone new. We have a searchable directory of all the groups and social activities across Derbyshire.

Stroll and Roll Accessible walks

There are accessible walks taking place across Derbyshire this summer. The walks are fully accessible to wheelchair users and the pace and length of the walks is modified to suit the group taking part. To find out what's happening in your area, visit the Active Derbyshire website - they'll be able to put you in touch with the walk organisers.

Derbyshire Carers Association events

As the lead provider of carers services in Derbyshire, Derbyshire Carers Association often arrange events for carers including walks, training sessions and groups. Visit their website or give them a ring to find out more on tel: 01773 833833.

Events and training for carers

Keep up to date with all the latest news and local events including:

  • Library events and IT lessons
  • Wellbeing and information events
  • Dementia friendly films
  • And much, much more…

Schemes to help while your out and about

Changing Places

If the person you care for has a physical disability they might struggle to use standard toilets as there just isn’t enough room to move around. Changing places are adapted toilets with more space and specialised equipment including a height-adjusting changing bench and hoists.

Derbyshire County Council have a list of the Changing Places across Derbyshire so you can check out where the closest changing place is. Accessible Derbyshire have information on their website too.

Safe Places Logo

Safe place Scheme

Are you worried about the person you care for getting lost, scared or in need of help when they are out and about on their own?

Safe places are public buildings in towns and communities that have the safe place sticker in their window. The staff inside will help the person by getting in touch with an emergency contact to help them get back home safely.

You can apply for a keep safe card for the person you care for and on the card you can write details such as emergency contact, communication needs and other important numbers or information.

If they need help when they are out and about they can just go to a place with the Safe Place sticker and give the card to a member of staff who will be able to help.


The Accessible Derbyshire website has details of loads of places you can visit that are accessible to people with disabilities. You can follow them on Facebook to keep up with news about any events or activities.

Transport and travel

One of the biggest barriers to getting out and about is actually getting where you want to go.

Derbyshire Connect Service

Derbyshire Connect provides transport to shopping destinations for people unable to use conventional buses because of age, disability or because they live in areas where public transport is limited. Find out more here.


If you are looking to maybe go further afield, the National Rail website has information about the accessibility for train stations across England.

Disabled Persons Railcard

The Disabled Persons Railcard entitles the cardholder and a carer or companion one third off most adult rail fares on the National Rail network.
It costs £20 a year or £54 for a three-year card. You can buy one at any staffed ticket office or apply online.

Blue Badge

The Blue Badge scheme helps you park closer to your destination for people with severe walking difficulties, who either travel as drivers or passengers.

Car tax

You can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax if you get the:

  • higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • enhanced rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name.
It must only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. It can’t be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.

Tell us your tips!

If you know of any more local places, schemes or events to help carers and the people they look after get out and about please let us know so we can share them with other carers.


Signup for updates


Get our carers newsletter and blog posts delivered to your inbox