Getting support for the person you care for

If you think the person you care for needs more support there are a few things you can do.

Health issues

If the person you care for has health problems or an illness (including mental health problems) then speak to their GP in the first instance. It may be that a condition is getting worse and is no longer manageable. Your GP will be able to refer the person for tests, medical assessments or for outpatient clinics if necessary. If the person you care for isn't registered with a GP, you can find a practice local to you by using the NHS service finder.

Social care support

If you think the person you care for requires support from adult social care, you can request an assessment of their care needs. Derbyshire Adult Care have made a short video that explains how to access care services and how their processes work:


Please note, if the person you care for lives in Derby City you will need to contact Derby City Council to request an adult social care assessment.

If you'd prefer to read about Adult Care processes you can visit the Derbyshire County Council website.

To request an assessment of the person's needs you can contact Call Derbyshire on tel: 01629 533190

You may also find it useful to read our information about the Care Act which guides social care and sets out eligibility criteria.

NHS Choices have developed a guide to care and support which also has information and advice for carers. They also have an overview of the different social care services, aids and adaptations that may be available to support people (dependent on eligibility). 

Adult Care information

Derbyshire County Council Adult Care produce information leaflets about services they provide or help to fund. Publications include an overview of Adult Care services, mental health and wellbeing services, dementia services and keeping adults safe (safeguarding). You can read the leaflets online or order printed copies through the post using the Adult Care leaflet order form.

Adult Care can provide information in easy read, large print and formats such as audio and braille on request. Their main publications are available in British Sign Language videos which also feature audio, easy read symbols and subtitles.

Practical help

Small aids and adaptations can help people to live at home and stay as independent as possible.

The Disability Living Foundation's Ask SARA website asks a series of questions to assess what kind of aids and equipment would most help the person you care for. It then suggests suppliers from whom you can purchase the aids over the internet.

Call Derbyshire may be able to arrange the loan of certain pieces of equipment, such as raised toilet seats, trolleys and bath seats through the Integrated Community Equipment Service on tel: 01629 533190.

The Adult Care Brokerage Service can help you groups, clubs and recreational activities in your area. They can also help you find care services and transport providers. Tel: 01629 537763.

The Unforgettable website is a marketplace of products and services to help people with dementia and memory loss. The site was set up by James after he cared for his mother with the aim of helping other carers discover products that really help all in one place. 

Community alarms systems (also known as pendant alarms) have a wristband or pendant the person wears which connects to a telephone line through a base unit. If the person you support needs help, for instance if they have fallen or you feel unwell, they can trigger a call for help by pressing the button on the pendant or wristband.

Telecare works in a similar way to community alarms but instead of having to press a button to call for help, telecare sensors automatically detect if there is a problem, such as a fire or whether the person using the telecare has fallen or wandered. Sensors can be worn as a pendant, bracelet or watch or may be positioned throughout the home. If a sensor picks up a problem, alerts are then sent to a group of nominated responders or a monitoring centre who can then respond to the problem detected. There are all sorts of sensors available depending on the person's needs. 

For major adaptations such as level access showers, a disabled facilities grant may be available. If you live in social housing speak to your housing provider first. 

Age UK Derby and Derbyshire offer a variety of services for older people including a free information and advice service. You can contact their advice hotline on tel: 01773 768240.

The Red Cross operate a volunteer lead medical equipment service that provides wheelchair hire and short −term loan of equipment. Local numbers are:

  • Matlock tel: 01629 593320
  • Ripley tel: 01773 742108
  • Chesterfield tel: 01245 470571.

Choosing care services

The Derbyshire County Council website has advice about choosing care services such as home care services and care homes.

The NHS website has listings for all care and health providers. The website has a 'Trip Advisor' style review system where people can leave comments about services they've used. The reviews are particularly useful when you are trying to choose a service for the person you care for.

The Care Choices website has a searchable directory of care homes, home care services and supported living in Derbyshire.

The Adult Care Brokerage Service can help you find care services in your area. They can also help you find social and recreational activities and transport providers. Tel: 01629 537763.

You can also find out about day services for older adults and for people with learning disabilities.

Paying for care

If the person you care for uses care services such as home care or residential care, either on a short term or long term basis, they may have to pay or make a contribution to the cost. How much they have to pay depends on their income, savings, capital and what type of care service they use.

The Derbyshire County Council website has information and leaflets about paying for care in a:

You can order printed copies of the paying for care leaflets using the Adult Care leaflet order form. There is also an information leaflet about getting independent financial advice.

Age UK have a detailed guide about paying for non-residential care that also explains how you can ask for any disability related expenditure to be taken into consideration by the local authority when they carry out a financial assessment. Derbyshire County Council also have information about disability related expenditure in their 'Financial Contribution Review procedure' which is attached as document to their website.

Age UK also have information about paying for residential care.

Some care services are provided free of charge, this includes:

NHS Continuing Healthcare

NHS Continuing Healthcare is a package of care arranged and funded solely by the NHS. To be eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare, the person's main or primary need must relate to their health. Their needs will be assessed to decide if they're eligible.

The Care to Be Different website gives carers help and advice on navigating continuing healthcare funding. The site was a winner at the 2015 Care Advice Awards. 

Beacon are an organisation that have been funded by NHS England to provide free information and advice about Continuing Healthcare. Tel: 0345 548 0300.


Under the Care Act 2014, Derbyshire County Council has a responsibility to make enquiries into a situation where abuse of a vulnerable adult is suspected, and determine whether any action needs to be taken.  This is called 'safeguarding'.  If you think the person you care for is experiencing or is at risk of abuse: 

  • in an emergency ring the Police on tel: 999  
  • in a non emergency ring the Police on tel: 101
  • for information and advice contact Derbyshire County Council on tel: 01629 533190.

Other helpful websites

This information was last updated on 03/08/2022

Search the Carers Directory

Look for services and groups in Derbyshire to help support you in your caring role


Signup for updates


Get our carers newsletter and blog posts delivered to your inbox