Caring for someone leaving hospital

Caring for someone leaving hospital

Discharges from hospital in Derbyshire vary depending on whether the person you care for is in an acute or community hospital.

You can find out more about this on:

If the nurses on the ward feel the person you care for will need extra support when they get home, they will make a referral to the local Derbyshire County Council Adult Care Team once the person's estimated discharge date is known. Adult Care then have between three and five days to complete a social care assessment of the person's care and support needs. 

If the ward staff don't make a referral to Adult Care but you feel the person you care would benefit from an assessment, you can request one yourself by contacting Call Derbyshire on tel: 01629 533190. You may be able to have a carers assessment for yourself at the same time.

For further information please see the Planning Your Discharge from Hospital leaflet. This leaflet is also available in Urdu, Polish, Chinese, Ukranian, Punjabi, Bengali and easy read on Derbyshire County Council's coming out of hospital page.  

Derbyshire Home from Hospital Service

If the person you care for doesn't need, or isn't eligible for, formal support from Adult Care, but you feel they do need help with things like shopping, keeping their home clean and collecting prescriptions after leaving hospital, you can get support from the Derbyshire Home from Hospital Service. Tel 01283 817417 to find out more.

Checklist for leaving hospital

Are you able to help - if your family member or friend requires support on discharge you should be asked if you are willing and able to care, including how much help you can provide and how often

Ask for help - If you feel that you will struggle to care for your family member or friend once they are discharged make sure you speak to Call Derbyshire on tel: 01629 533190 or Derbyshire Carers Association on tel: 01773 833833

Discuss - talk to the person you care for about their needs. Ask what tasks they can do on their own and what things they need help with. Having an understanding of this will help make sure you don't end up carry out tasks they are capable of doing themselves - and they won't feel frustrated that you are doing too much for them.  

Information - before discharge hospital staff should provide you and the person you care for with both spoken and written information and contact details, including any relevant information about future care. You should be made aware of who the key person is to talk to about discharge plans.

Training - you should be given any basic training you need to carry out your caring role. An example would be training on moving and handling or what medication side effects to look out for. 

Questions, worries, concerns - if you or the person you care for don't feel you are being listened to or have any concerns then speak to the hospital staff. If this doesn't solve your concern you can contact the hospital's patient liaison service. If your concern is more about social care than health services, then contact Call Derbyshire. If you or the person you care for feel unable to make your voice heard, you may wish to get help from an advocate. Hospital and social care staff should give you information about how you can complain if you are unhappy about the service you or the patient receives.

Transport - Make sure you have transport arranged. Ambulances and hospitals cars will only be arranged if the doctor feels it necessary. 

Follow up appointments - check with the nurse to make sure if the person you care for needs to attend any out-patitent clinics.

Medication- make sure you have all the medications you need for the person you care for. If there are new medications, make sure you know what they are for and what doses are to be given.

Possessions - make sure the person you care for has all their possessions and that you don't take home any hospital property by mistake. 

Confidentiality and carers

In situations where your family member does not want you to be involved, or be given information about their care, you should be provided with information on where to go for carer support. This situation may be more likely to happen if the person you look after has mental health issues. 

If there is a need for a safeguarding investigation you should be informed of the process. Derbyshire Healthcare Foundation Trust have further information about the laws around confidentiality and carers as part of their Core Care Standards. 

Moving and handling training

Many people who have been discharged from hospital have difficulties with mobility. Derbyshire County Council Adult Care's Moving and Handling Team provide free training for carers. You can learn safe techniques to prevent injury. They also provide the opportunity for carers and the people they care for to 'try out' new pieces of equipment.

The moving and handling team is based at The Hub in South Normanton, but offer training at other venues around the county. Please call tel: 01629 531825 for further information.

Getting support

As a carer it is important to get information, advice and support. The carers directory has details of advice lines, carer support groups in your area and services to give you a break from your caring role

Other helpful websites

This information was last updated on 25/06/2020

Search the Carers Directory

Look for services and groups in Derbyshire to help support you in your caring role


Signup for updates


Get our carers newsletter and blog posts delivered to your inbox