Carers Week 2018 runs from Monday 11 to Sunday 17 June.
Led by national charity Carers UK, the theme for this year's Carers Week is helping carers to get healthy and connected.
This leads on from the 'state of caring' survey carried out by Carers UK in 2017.
The survey found that carers can often experience loneliness and social isolation which can have a negative impact on health. Carers are also more likely to have physical or mental health conditions and often neglect those conditions: 3 in 5 carers have a long term health condition, this compares with half of non-carers.
What's happening in Derbyshire?
In Derbyshire we are using the week to celebrate carers and promote services to support health, wellbeing and reducing loneliness.
Derbyshire County Council will be launching the Walk a Mile in My Shoes Project with information events booked at venues around the county. Derbyshire Carers Association have a full week of events planned. More events will be added to the list below as they are confirmed.
Monday 11 June
- Walk a Mile in My Shoes roadshow - St Oswald's Hospital, Ashbourne, 10am to 4pm
- Derbyshire Carers Association - Caring for Carers Afternon Tea, Cricket Club, Queens Park, Chesterfield, 12.30pm to 3pm
- Derbyshire Carers Association - First Aid Training, tea and cakes, Park Court Community Centre, Heanor, 10.30 to 1pm
Tuesday 12 June
- Information & Advice Stand with Derbyshire Carers and the Hospital Carers Liaison Team - Chesterfield Royal Hospital Main Reception, 9am to 3pm
- Walk a Mile in My Shoes roadshow - Chesterfield Royal Hospital, 9am to 3pm
- Derbyshire Carers Association - First Aid Training, tea and cakes, Wellbrook Medical Centre, Hilton, 10.30 to 1pm
- Derbyshire Carers Association - walk and canal boat trip - Cromford Canal, Cromford. There will be a morning and an evening session, please call DCA to book a place on tel: 01773 833833
- Launch of Derbyshire Carers Assciation Glossop Information & Advice Hub and carers group - The Bureau, Bank House, SK13 8BW, 1.30pm to 3.30pm
- Blythe House Carers Group - Blythe House, Eccles Fold, Chapel-en-le-Frith, 5pm to 7pm
Wednesday 13 June
- Walk a Mile in My Shoes roadshow - Ilkeston Community Hospital, 10am to 4pm
- Derbyshire Carers Association - Caring for Carers Afternon Tea - Clay Cross Cafe, Gladstone Hub - please call tel: 01773 833833 to book a place
- DeCafe Carers Group - for carers of people with dementia - Glossop Central Methodist Church, 11am to 1pm.
- A Walk in the Park - Calke Abbey, Ticknall, Derby, DE73 7LE from 11am.
Thursday 14 June
- Walk a Mile in My Shoes roadshow - Ripley Community Hospital, 1pm to 5pm
- Derbyshire Carers Association - Caring for Carers Afternon Tea - Buxton Pavilion Tea Room - please call tel: 01773 833833 to book a place
- Launch of Derbyshire Carers Assciation Chapel-en-le-Frith Information & Advice Hub and carers group - Chapel-en-le-Frith Library, 10am to 12pm
- Derby Festival of Caring - Haven House & Oddfellows, Charnwood Street, Derby 10.30am to 2pm.
Friday 15 June
- Derbyshire Carers Association - Someone for you event - Shirebrook Village Hall. 11am to 2.30pm - music, information, stalls, refreshments and much more
- Walk a Mile in My Shoes roadshow- Shirebrook Village Hall (as part of Derbyshire Carers event), 11am to 2pm.
- Walk a Mile in My Shoes roadshow - Arc, Clowne, 3pm to 6pm
- Walk a Mile in My Shoes roadshow - Buxton Cavendish Hospital, 10am to 4pm
- Derbyshire Carers Association - Still waters dementia carers group - carers and cared for - Trinty Church, Hardwick Mount, Buxton, 10.30am to 12.30pm
- Derbyshire Carers Association - New Mills Luncheon - New Mills Volunteer Centre, 33-25 Union Road, High Peak, 12 noon to 2pm.
Local partners including Adult Care, Derbyshire Carers, Derbyshire Community Health Services and Derbyshire Healthcare Foundation Trust are also working together to produce a new information leaflet for carers. The leaflet will include services to help carers stay healthy and connected. Details on how to get a copy of this leaflet will be confirmed soon. April 23 2018